Morgan Tower, Dundee - Ref: WC0443
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows one of Dundee's most distinctive buildings, Morgan Tower, which stands at No. 135 Nethergate. Dating from 1794, it has what Charles McKean and David Walker call 'a column of wonderfully vulgar Venetian windows.'
John W. Russell, the chemist, is listed at that address for over a decade. [There is a chemist's shop there in 2000]. No. 137 is Thomas Shepherd, pastrybaker and confectioner, until the Dundee Directory of 1901/02, when Mrs Thomas Shepherd is listed.
William Brown, housepainter and decorator was at No. 141. No. 131 was Miss Mary Stewart, a draper, and No. 129 Mrs Ann Wallace, who ran a register office.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.