Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0380
This photograph shows the junction of the eastern side of Dundee's Meadowside with Commercial Street, which runs southwards to Dock Street at the right. The alleyway is Cameron's Close.
John Bryden & Sons, bellhangers and brassworkers, were at No. 17. The Dundee Directory for 1892-93 also calls the company 'window blind manufacturers'. Robert Scott's Fine Art Saloon was at No. 19. He lived at Beachgrove, West Ferry.
Thomas Bett & Co., at No. 21, were flax and hemp merchants. No. 25 was Lipman & Co., merchants and sack manufacturers, with works at No. 23, and Albert Wulff & Co., also merchants. Lipman is last listed in the Dundee Directory of 1892-93.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.