Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0473
This photograph shows Dundee's Nethergate looking to the west, with the ill-fated Queen's Hotel in the distance. Its owners had built on that site after hearing (unfounded) rumours about plans to build the city's new railway terminus nearby.
The Mercat Cross consists of a piece called Unicorn by Scott Sutherland RSA on top of a shaft, dating from 1562, by John Mylne. The piece has been moved and altered several times. In 2000, it was restored to this position outside the new Overgate Centre.
Just visible through the trees is School Wynd United Presbyterian Church, founded in 1825 The Rev. George Gilfillan (a prominent Dundee minister with a church named after him to this day) was inducted in 1836. The building was renovated in 1872.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.