Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0430
The Mercat Cross (a 16th-century column topped by a replica of 'Unicorn' by John Sutherland RSA) stands at the same site it occupies in 2000, though the junction with Lindsay Street is long gone (part of the 1970s Overgate development).
The shops on the south side of Nethergate (one of Alexander Wilson's favourite subjects) include the Greenock Worsted Wool & Hosiery Store at No. 82, and the Maison Souter at Nos. 78-80. Mary Souter, milliner and dressmaker, lived at No. 9 Springfield.
George Sime, a surgeon dentist, had his surgery at No. 64. The Royal Hotel, owned and managed by James T. Russell, was listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 54 Nethergate and No. 15 Union Street. It boasted the finest salons in the north of Scotland.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.