"Lochee" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0853
The "Lochee" was an iron three masted full rigged ship built in 1874 by Alexander Stephen and Sons of Dundee for D Bruce and Co., also of Dundee. She had a gross tonnage of 1812 and measured 264.2 feet in length.
The Dundee Yearbook records the "Lochee" bringing 12, 375 bales of jute from Calcutta on 24th February 1887 (having sailed for 121 days), 12, 604 bales from Chittagong on 13th January 1888 (after 113 days).
The ship is still listed in Lloyds Register in 1893/94, but no further visits to Dundee are recorded. As she is sitting quite high in the water, it is likely she has been unloaded and cleaned (it is not possible to say where in the docks she is berthed).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.