Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0320
This photograph shows the crossing of the southern end of Lindsay Street, Dundee, and the Overgate, with the Old Steeple at the far side of the latter.
Both of the identifiable businesses are listed in various editions of the Dundee Directory as Overgate - the wines and spirits merchant James B. Lawson, about whom no further information has come to light.
William Low & Co., on the other hand, was a chain of general stores throughout the city, which grew into one of the major retail outlets in this part of Scotland. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection 29 (3) is a cash price list dating from 1886.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.