Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0321
This photograph looks from west to east, with the Overgate, one of Dundee's principle shopping areas at the time, leading into the distance; Lindsay Street runs left to right from Ward Road in the north to Nethergate in the south.
William Low & Co. grew from their establishment in 1867 to become one of the city's best-known businesses outside jute, jam and journalism - they were eventually bought out by Tesco in the 1990s, the Kingsway office becoming national Tesco's call centre.
According to their price list of 1886, their wholesale stores and counting house was in Blackness Road. This document (Dundee Central Library Lamb 29 (3)) lists shops in Dundee 7), Lochee, Forfar (3), Kirkcaldy, Stirling (2), Perth, Glasgow and Leeds.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.