"Lass o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0851
The "Lass o' Gowrie" was a 138 ton iron paddle steamer, built in 1883 by J T Eltringham of South Shields for David Edwards, a well-known Dundonian sea captain. She ran a route from Dundee to Perth via Newburgh.
This photograph, shows the "Lass o' Gowrie" in the Tidal Basin at Dundee Harbour, berthed near a warehouse called Stephens Buildings.
The sailing ships in the left background look like jute carriers, but none of them is identifiable. The "Lass o' Gowrie" was struck off the Dundee Register four months after the photograph was taken, when she was sold to Cosens and Co., Ltd., of Weymouth.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.