Howff, Tombstone in 15th recess, West Wall, Dundee - Ref: WC2100
The Howff in Dundee was a public burial ground between 1564, when Mary Queen of Scots granted land which had formerly belonged to the Grey Friars, until 1857. It also served as a meeting place for the city's trades until the Trades Hall opened in 1778.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.