"Hort Hill" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0840
The "Holt Hill" [Hort being a misreading] was an iron four-masted barque, built by W. H. Potter and Son, Liverpool, in 1884 for the Sailing Ship Holt Hill Co., Ltd., also of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2523 and measured 300 feet in length.
The Dundee amateur photographer, Alexander Wilson, took this picture a couple of weeks after the "Holt Hill" arrived in the city with a cargo of raw jute from Calcutta. Her voyage had lasted 125 days.
The cargo she brought was divided between six Dundee companies: Harry Walker and Sons, James Prain and Sons, D. W. Wybrants, Alexander Low and Co., William Halley and Sons, and John Henderson and Sons.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.