Horse-drawn carts - Ref: WC1019
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows one of the most popular means of transporting goods at the end of the 19th century - horse-drawn cart. The precise location is unclear, but most likely it is near Dundee East railway station.
This station belonged to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway Co., and the carting of goods was the responsibility of Wordie and Co., whose offices and yard were at Dundee West station. The manager was Mr H.F. Pollock.
Dundee East was also conveniently near the eastern part of Dundee Harbour and Docks, allowing direct access to the railway line north. Goods were, of course, also transported by coastal steamers which called frequently at Dundee.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.