High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0257
Dating from before 1899, this photograph shows the south side of High Street between the Royal British Hotel at the north end of Castle Street and the top of St Clement's Lane, to the east of the Town House.
The National Boot Depot is here clearly identifiable with Stead and Simpson Ltd., next door to Smith Brothers' Globe Clothing Establishment.
Above Mackay Brothers' goldsmiths' shop are the offices of a Mercantile debt recovery agency, possibly run by Joseph Brand, who is listed in several issues of the Dundee Directory in the early 1890s as "agent".
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.