High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0312
Directly opposite Dundee's Town House, on the north side of the High Street, were this motley assortment of buildings, which remain intact today.
The photograph was taken some time in 1895, since The Glasgow Coliseum Warehouse Co., and George Morris booksellers only appear together in the Dundee Directory for 1895-96.
The Fife-born James Hardie, whose chemist shop is just visible at the left, 'enjoyed to a greater extent the confidence of the medical fraternity and of the general public' according to an obituary printed in The Dundee Yearbook for 1905.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.