High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0313
This photograph looks eastwards along the northern section of Dundee High Street, across Commercial Street into the Murraygate, the distant spire being that of St Andrews church at the foot of King Street.
The elegant building to the right is William Spence's Clydesdale Bank dating from 1876. It replaced the Trades Hall, which stood directly opposite the Union Hall across the old City Square and, according to David M. Walker 'was so much more pleasant'.
In their book 'Dundee. An illustrated architectural guide', Charles McKean and David Walker say 'despite its richly sculptured Renaissance details, the bank requires another storey or two if it is to fulfill its urban design.'
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.