High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0450
This photograph shows Dundee's High Street looking to the east. The shop at the extreme right (John B. Hurrie) is the start of Nethergate. This business also helps to date the image to around 1898.
D & W Prophet, the photographers, had a studio in No. 23 High Street (and also at No. 59 Wellgate), which also housed Watt &Co., procurators, John Harris, a solicitor, the dentist Patrick S. Walker, and David Beath, a currier (a leather treater).
Sinclair & Ewing, at No. 28 Nethergate (at this period), are listed in the Dundee Directory as 'furnishing ironmongers, cutlery and mangle merchants'. Their advertisement lists carpet sweepers at 10/6 (52p), and mangles from 25s (£1.25).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.