High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1065
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the south side of Dundee High Street, with Castle Street running southwards at the left hand side. The buildings shown were demolished at the start of the 20th century to make way for a new Royal Bank of Scotland.
D. M. Allan was a perfumer, hair cutter and wig maker at No. 1. Above were the offices of D. & J. Milne, house and property agents. At No. 2 were Stewart's & Co., tailors. Stead & Simpson, the shoe shop, was next door.
Smith Brothers ('The Globe' was a leftover from the building's previous usage as a restaurant) were outfitters and tailors. Henry Adams & Son were one of Dundee's most famous glovers; likewise James Ramsay was a popular jeweller.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.