High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0208
This photograph shows the northern side of Dundee High Street with the Dundee Arms in the west.
The fountain outside was erected on 25th June 1879 by Edward Caird, father of Sir James Caird, after whom the Caird Hall in present-day City Square is named.
The fountain was removed (along with the buildings shown here) during the building of a new Overgate shopping centre. A similar one can be seen (appropriately enough) near Caird Park at the north side of the city.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.