"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0836
This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Harland" on the south side of the city's Victoria Dock, some two months after her arrival from Calcutta with a cargo of raw jute on 9th May 1889.
With a gross tonnage of 1742 and measuring 250.8 feet in length, the "Harland" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built in 1885 by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton for W. Land of London.
She was sold to the Glasgow firm, Stuart Bros., in 1889, and this was the year of her only recorded visit to Dundee. Whilst in port, she underwent her No. 1 Special Survey, according to Lloyd's Register, which explains the long stay.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.