Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1070
Dundee's Greenmarket was a large area of open ground quite close to the railway stations and the docks which was used for markets, like the one in progress in this photograph by Alexander Wilson.
The shops behind the stalls include Holliwell & Co., 'book and tool dealers' according to the Dundee Directory, this being the bookshop at No. 32, and the bottle shooting saloon, although there is no listing for this anywhere.
The Crown Hotel is listed as both No. 40 Greenmarket and 1 Shore Terrace, owned by Mrs E. Steel. The tobacconists / stationers at No. 3 were Thomson & Fraser, and No. 5 was the Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Ltd.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.