Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1072
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the large space in Dundee's city centre (just to the south of the High Street) called The Greenmarket. (The Town House spire can be seen at the left hand side).
Of the buildings, only the Crown Hotel is clearly identifiable - the shops changed on a fairly regular basis. It was perhaps the city's oldest such establishment, having at one stage belonged to a St Andrews businessman.
The exact dates and type of markets held are not documented. Tales of 'Saturday evenings at the Greenmarket' appeared in the Dundee Advertiser, but these are more concerned with the activities of the working classes than any commercial aspect.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.