Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1089
Dundee's Greenmarket was an open space to the south of the High Street and north of Dock Street and Shore Terrace. This Alexander Wilson photograph focuses on the western side, at the south end of Crichton Street (running to the right).
James McLean's chine stores occupied the Old Customs House, sometimes locally (and incorrectly) known as Drummond Castle. The northern tower has been demolished here, presumably to make way for the elegant block to the north.
No precise details of the Greenmarket's schedule have been found, so it is difficult to say when this flower market might have taken place. Greenmarket was supposedly at its most lively on Saturday evenings.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.>p