Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1075
Dundee's Greenmarket was an open space not far from the railway stations and the docks, where weekly produce markets were held. In this photograph by Alexander Wilson, Shore Terrace leads away to the east at the righthand side.
Behind the stalls, the businesses included Holliwell & Co.'s bookshop at No. 32 (their ironmongery was at No. 24), and the bottle shooting saloon, which does not appear in any Dundee Directory listing. No. 40 was the Crown Hotel, managed by Mrs E. Steel.
No. 3 Shore Terrace was a tobacconist / stationer (what we might today call a 'paper shop'), at that time owned by Thomson & Fraser, and No. 5 were the offices of Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Co. (which survives today as DP & L Travel).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.