Greenmarket and Crichton Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1069
This undated photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of the Greenmarket in Dundee, with Crichton Street leading northwards to High Street at the lefthand side, where Chalmers the bootmaker's shop can be seen.
James F. Croal, whose grocery stocked 'home & foreign produce', is listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 26 Crichton Street and No.; 2 Greenmarket. He had a second shop at No. 84 Victoria Road, and lived at Mabelbank in West Ferry.
Nos. 6 and 6a Greenmarket was the Criterion Restaurant, run by Forbes Watson. The public house next door was run by Mrs David Lowden. George Willsher owned the public house on the other side of Candle Lane. He lived at Pitpointie, a village near Tealing.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.