Greenmarket and Crichton Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1092
The fish hanging in Crichton Street was presumably marking James Pow's fishmongery at No. 20. James F. Croal, the grocer, was No. 26 Crichton Street and No. 2 Greenmarket, with Forbes Watson's Criterion Restaurant at Nos. 6 and 6a.
No. 8 was another public house, this one run by Mrs D. Lowden. George Willsher (No. 1 Castle Lane an No. 12 Greenmarket), also had a public house at No. 12 Candle Lane (near Seagate), and lived in the village of Pitpointie, near Auchterhouse.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.