"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0831
Built in Sunderland in 1877 by William Doxford and Sons for C. W. Kellock and Co., of Liverpool, the "Gateacre" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship with a gross tonnage of 1409 and measuring 231 feet in length.
This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Gateacre" after she had been unloaded after her 153-day voyage from Chittagong (9, 506 bales of raw jute for the city's mills), berthed on the north side of the Victoria Dock.
There is a painting stage under the bow, showing that some cleaning and perhaps repairs had to be done after the passage from what is now Bangladesh. This is the only recorded visit the "Gateacre" made to Dundee.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.