"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0830
The "Gateacre" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by William Doxford and Sons of Sunderland in 1877 for C. W. Kellock and Co., of Liverpool.
She had a gross tonnage of 1409 and was 231 feet long. This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "Gateacre" on the north side of Dundee Harbour's Victoria Dock, with the Law (the remains of an extinct volcano) between the ship's mast.
The picture was taken only three days after the "Gateacre" arrived in Dundee from Chittagong with a load of 9, 506 bales of jute for the city's mills after a voyage of 153 days. She appears not to have been unloaded.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.