"Garry" and "Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0881
The "Nile" was an iron four masted barque, built in 1886 by Russell and Co., Port Glasgow, for the Glasgow company, W Douglas. She measured 283.5 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 2163.
The "Garry" (the smaller steamship to the righthand side in front of the clock tower warehouse) was an iron screw steamer with a gross tonnage of 973 and measuring 217.9 feet in length.
She was built in Dundee by W B Thompson for the North Sea Steam Ship Company of Dundee in 1880. Other vessels in the fleet by 1889 were the "Spey", the "Isla", the "Ardle", and the "Dean".
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.