Fulwood in Dundee Harbour

"Fulwood" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0829

The "Fulwood" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship built in 1885 by Oswald, Merchant and Co., of Southampton for R. W. Leyland and Co., of Liverpool.

She had a gross tonnage of 2170 and measured 279 feet in length. This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Fulwood" berthed on the north side of the city's Camperdown Dock, with the gas works in the background.

The picture was taken a month after the "Fulwood" had arrived in Dundee with a cargo of jute from Calcutta. The voyage had lasted 125 days, and she was loaded with 16, 053 bales. No other visits to the city are recorded.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?