"English Mechanic" at Broughty Ferry - Ref: WC0815
The "English Mechanic" was launched at Dundee's King William IV Dock on 5th June 1876. She was brought to Dundee by rail, and transported from Dundee West Station on a cradle. She is seen sitting on the beach at Broughty Ferry.
From there she was rowed to Broughty Ferry, lying to the east of Dundee on the Firth of Tay. She was named, launched and called to her first rescue mission on the same day.
The name derives from the fact that the lifeboat was presented to Broughty Ferry by the readers of "The English Mechanic and World of Science" magazine. She was superceded on 23rd June 1888 by the "Samuel Shawcross".
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.