Dupplin Castle - Ref: WC2487
Dupplin Castle was built between 1828 and 1832 to plans by William Burn. The previous building was burnt to the ground in a very short time in 1827. The library (which contained many first editions of classics) and many of the old paintings were saved.
Costing around £30,000, the new castle has an impressive view over the vale of Strathearn and is located south west of Perth, near the site of the Battle of Dupplin (12th August 1332), when Edward Baliol defeated the army of the new Scottish Regent, March.
The house, which was home to the Hay family as Viscount Dupplin and the Earl of Kinnoull, was paid a visit by Victoria and Prince Albert on 6th September 1842. A hill some half a mile (800m) to the north contained stone-formed graves.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.