Dupplin Castle - Ref: WC2488
The estate of Dupplin lies to the south west of Perth. The castle shown in this photograph by Alexander Wilson is the third on the site. The previous building was burnt to the ground in 1827, though the library and valuable paintings were saved.
Costing around £30, 000, William Burn's Tudor style replacement was built between 1828 and 1832 as the new home of the Hay family, as Viscount Dupplin and Earl of Kinnoull. Victoria and Albert visited on 6th September 1842.
The Battle of Dupplin was fought nearby on 12th August 1332. Using surprise as a primary tactic, Edward Baliol routed a far greater force under the command of March, Scotland's new Regent. Some 13, 000 men were killed as well as the Regent himself.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.