Dupplin Castle - Ref: WC2490
This fine photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the Tudor-style third Dupplin Castle. The previous building was destroyed by fire in 1827, and was replaced by this William Burn design from 1828-32 at a cost of around £30, 000.
The estate was the home of the Hay family, as Viscount Dupplin and Earl of Kinnoull. The Battle of Dupplin (12th August 1332) saw the crushing defeat of the Regent Mar's forces by Edward Baliol's much smaller army. A stone marks the spot.
The castle was bought by the whisky tycoon Sir John Alexander Dewar in 1911. He was ennoble as the 1st Baron Forteviot of Dupplin in 1916. The castle suffered the same fate as its predecessor in 1934, and most of it was finally demolished in 1967.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.