Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0954
This photograph shows the Tidal Basin (in the foreground) and the Earl Grey Dock (middle distance), part of Dundee's Harbour, with the spire of St Paul's Cathedral in the background at the left hand side and a jute factory chimney at the right.
The buildings behind the harbour are in Yeaman Shore, an area transformed in the early 20th century when the Caird Hall was built and again to accommodate a bus station. To the right is Dock Street, leading east to the Greenmarket.
There are sailing ships in the Earl Grey Docks, while the paddle steamer and the smaller unidentified boat are in the Tidal Basin. The steamer was most likely a pleasure craft, sailing from Dundee to Perth, or Montrose or St Andrews.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.