Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0955
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the Clock Tower Warehouse in Dundee Harbour. Designed by David Cunningham, the Harbour Engineer responsible for completing the Victoria Dock to Thomas Telford's design, it was erected in 1877.
The picture was taking looking north from the East Graving Dock, with the ships in Victoria Dock, which was begun in 1833 by James Leslie, but only completed between 1869 and 1875.
Graving docks were used for sealing the hulls of wooden ships with tar, or for repair and maintenance work on other ships. Dundee Harbour was busy enough to have to have two separate graving docks.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.