Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC1097
This photograph shows a view of Dundee and its harbour some time around 1890. The sailing ships at the right are in King William IV Dock and look like jute carriers that sailed annually to and from India and Bangladesh.
Just to the right of centre is the Royal Arch of 1848 (built to commemorate a visit to the city by Queen Victoria in 1844), which stands at the north end of a pier separating King William IV Dock from Earl Grey Dock to the west.
The harbourmaster's observation tower can be seen to the left of centre, with a 20 ton steam crane at the left, the most powerful of several pieces of lifting equipment in the harbour at that time.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.