Dock Street and Candle Lane, Dundee - Ref: WC0137
This photograph shows part of the eastern section of Dundee's Dock Street proper (not to be confused with East Dock Street, which is further east!) and the southern end of Candle Lane.
William B. Ballingall, the wine and spirits merchant at No. 55, was the eldest brother of Hugh Ballingall, Lord Provost of Dundee, a brewer, malter and hop merchant, owner of The Park and Pleasance Brewery, Lochee Road.
The Great Eastern public house (Nos. 57-58) was owned by John Ogilvy. James Hynd, listed in the Dundee Directory as 'house and ship painter' is last listed in the edition for 1891-92. Thereafter only his home address (No. 2 Roslin Street) is given.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.