"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0800
The original caption is slightly confusing as the vessel shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph was only renamed from H. M. S. Unicorn in 1941. The "Unicorn" arrived at Dundee on 8th November 1873 to replace the Royal Navy Reserve's "Brilliant".
The "Unicorn" is a double-decked frigate, originally constructed to carry 44 guns, with a registered weight of 1084 tons. She was built at Chatham, launched on 30th March 1824. More details regarding the "Unicorn" can be found on its own specific website.
After her arrival at Dundee, the deck was roofed in so that the reserves to perform their duties and carry out their drills in all weathers. Service in the Reserve lasted for five years, including 28 days of drills, which were normally done as weeks.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.