"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref:WC0802
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows a ship which arrived in Dundee as the "H. M. S. Unicorn" on 8th November 1873 to replace the Royal Navy Reserve's "Brilliant", which was refitted at Dundee and towed to Inverness.
The name was changed to "Cressy" in 1941 when a new "Unicorn" was launched at Belfast. The original Unicorn was built at Chatham in 1824 as a double-decked frigate with 44 guns and a registered weight of 1084 tons.
Arriving at Dundee, she had two guns on the gun deck (one 100-pounder and one 50-pounder), four 32-pounders on the starboard side and four 64-pounders on the port side. These were used in the Royal Navy Reserve's drills. More details regarding the "Unicorn" can be found on its own specific website
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.