Claypotts Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1148
This view of Claypotts Castle is taken from the skating park to the south east. It was built in the second half of the 16th century by John Strachan and his son Gilbert to protect the family estate from the marauding Henry Lovell of nearby Ballumbie.
When the Strachan line died out, the castle was tenured from the Abbey of Lindores to the Grahams of Ballunie, a neighbouring estate. From them, it passed to the Grahams of Claverhouse. After Killiecrankie, they forfeited all their estates.
Claypotts passed by royal charter (1694) to the Marquis of Douglas. After another period of confusion, the castle finally came into the hands of the Home family. Though still property of the Homes, it is currently maintained by Historic Scotland.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.