City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1885
St Mary's Tower is more popularly known as the Old Steeple. It was built in the late 15th century and has had a turbulent, interesting history. More recently it survived the 1841 fire which devasted the adjacent City Churches. They were subsequently rebuilt.
In 1870 famous architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, was commissioned to devise a restoration and conservation plan for the Old Steeple. In the late 1990s the Old Steeple again underwent refurbishment and has recently been reopened to the public.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.