City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1799
There has been at least one church on this site in Dundee since the 13th century. The tower of St Mary's, popularly known as the Old Steeple, was completed in the 1480s. It is the oldest building in Dundee, having survived the devastating fire of 1841 which destroyed the churches.
The churches were rebuilt after this catastrophe. The Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and has recently been reopened to the public. There was a hansom cab rank in front of the City Churches, as can be clearly seen in the photograph.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.