City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1875
This photograph shows St Mary's Tower, more usually known locally as the Old Steeple. Completed in the 15th century the Old Steeple has had a turbulent and interesting history.
As well as a belfry, the Steeple became a clock tower in the 16th century. It has also been a watch tower, the last, unsuccessful defence against General Monk in 1651 and a prison. The Old Steeple has recently been reopened to the public and is proving a very popular attraction.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.