City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1876
The Old Steeple, is the more popular name given to St Mary's Tower. The tower, as it stands now, was completed in the 1480s. It has had an exciting and turbulent history including being used by Dundonians in a futile siege against General Monk, one of Cromwell's generals, in 1651.
The Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s. It has recently been reopened to the public and is proving to be a very popular attraction to both tourists and locals alike.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.