Cidmore, Perth Road Dundee - Garden & Summer House - Ref: WC4222
Cidmore opened as an Eventide Home on 21/10/1927. The opening ceremony was by Col. Catherine Booth of the Salvation Army. A Miss Reid (81) was the first to apply and receive admittance. The home was the latest addition to 72 institutions devoted to women's social work.
It cost £5,220 to purchase the house, do the alterations and provide furniture. Residents contributed what they could and were free to come and go as they pleased and invite friends/relatives to visit. The last resident left in May 1955. In 1997 Cidmore was turned into 5 luxury townhouses.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.