Castle Street (east side), Dundee - Ref: WC1057
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the junctions of Castle Street (running north to south seemingly diagonally here), Dock Street (running off to the right and east), Shore Terrace (running to the west and left).
The most prominent building housed the City Assembly Rooms of 1828, designed by George Smith. At No. 17 Dock Street were the office of George Gibson. Shipowners, and agents for Dundee & Rotterdam Steamers.
On the corner of Castle and Exchange Streets (which runs parallel to Dock Street) was Alexander Stewart, wholesale wine merchant and distiller of 'Cream of the Barley'. His advertisements say 'London orders dispatched per steamer every Wed. and Sat.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.