"Cambria" and "Middlesex" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0789
The "Cambria", a single-screw iron steamer weighing 729 tonnes, with 200 horse power engines, was launched by Gourlay Bros., of Dundee, in 1868 for the Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Company.
She was damaged in a collision with a collier off Scarborough, which resulted in her being lengthened in 1873 by W. B. Thompson's Tay Foundry at Stobswell. She was wrecked on the Cross Sands, near Yarmouth on 14th May 1891.
The "Middlesex", a three-masted iron-built ship was launched in 1884 by Barclay Curle and Co., of Glasgow, for Galbraith and Moorhead of London. She travelled regularly between Dundee and Chittagong, bringing raw jute to the city's mills.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.