Caledonian Railway - Goods Station, Dundee - Ref: WC1025
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the Dundee West Station (the third building on that site) with its distinctive clock tower in red sandstone. The goods yard stood to the south of the main station.
To the right of the picture is Mathers' Commercial Hotel, Whitehall Place, built in 1898 to plans by Robert Hunter. Previously Mathers had had a temperance hotel in Whitehall Street, but increased trade required a bigger building.
The Caledonian Railway's carting department was run by Wordie and Co., who were also agents for the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway at Dundee East, and the London and North Western Railway at Dundee West.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.