Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1000
Taken from the north end of Union Street at the junction with Nethergate, Dundee, this photograph by Alexander Wilson shows what we'd call a taxi rank in front of the City Churches.
From left to right (and west to east), the building consists of The Old Steeple, the Steeple Church, the South Church, and the East Church.
George Spence at No. 1 Union Street was a florist and fruiterer, who lived at No. 18 Seafield Road (off Perth Road). The upper floors of the building were rooms belonging to Russell's Royal Hotel.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.