Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1010
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the junction of Nethergate and South Lindsay Street, with the cabs (carriages which functioned much in the way modern-day taxis do) overflowing around the corner.
The Mercat Cross is an original 16th-century column with a copy of Scott Sutherland's Unicorn on top. The railings are no longer there, but the column remains, midway between the churches and the Overgate shopping centre (opened 2000).
The charging system for the cab network worked on a zone principle, with surcharges for such things as carrying more than four people, or waiting for passengers to run errands. Charges varied by sixpence increments.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.