Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1012
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the eastern portion of Dundee's City Churches, with the South at the centre, the Steeple to the west and left, the East at the right.
The Mercat Cross (a 16th-century column surmounted by a replica of Scott Sutherland's Unicorn) stands inside the railings. Today it is slightly further west, midway between the Old Steeple and the Overgate shopping centre of 2000.
The carriages are at a 'cab stance' (the precursor of the taxi rank), which started at the north end of Union Street (which led south to Tay Bridge and Dundee West railway stations). Fares were in units of sixpence, varying by zone.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.